If you’re a homeowner, you probably know that inspecting your furnace regularly ensures that that your heating system is in good shape, and helps you avoid health hazards or unexpected costs. But do you know how often you need to inspect your furnace, what you should be looking for, and whether or not you need to call a professional for an inspection?
How Often Are Furnace Inspections Necessary?
Most professionals recommend that you inspect your furnace at least once a year. While you may not find a problem every year, an inspection is an important part of making sure everything is in working order, just like a yearly physical. If your furnace is more than a decade old, a yearly inspection is especially important.
What Should You Look for During a Furnace Inspection?
The other important part of owning a furnace is knowing what you’re supposed to be looking for during a furnace inspection. Some of the most important things to check include:
- Vent. You want to look at the vent to make sure there is no blockage or leakage.
- Rust. You should look at all parts of your furnace, especially your heat exchanger and wiring, to make sure that there is neither rust nor erosion.
- Filters. Even if you don’t do a thorough inspection yearly, you should check your filters at least once every six months.
- Drainage system. Like the vent, you’ll want to check your drainage system for any leakage or blockage. You’ll also want to clean the condensate drain and trap.
- Blower and burners. Burners should be checked to make sure that ignition is working properly, and the blower should be inspected for any debris.
Do You Need to Call a Professional?
If you have never inspected a furnace on your own before and have no idea what the parts listed above are, let alone where to find them within the furnace, calling a professional is recommended. You should also call a professional if you encounter any issues, or if your furnace is not working like it should.
We’re Here to Help!
At Van Drunen Heating & Air Conditioning, our team is here to help you! We know that a furnace inspection can be a lot do on your own, and are happy to manage regular furnace maintenance, repairs, and inspection on your behalf. We can also take care of new furnace installation should it come to that.
To learn more about furnace inspections and how we can help, call us today at 708-339-6444, or send us a message. We’re here to help you!