Did you know that over 55,000 fires start in US homes because of heating equipment? Furnaces are the second largest cause of home fires. Many of these fires can be prevented. First, check all your smoke detectors to make sure the batteries are fresh and that they operate correctly. If a smoke detector is needed in an area, install one immediately.
Now that your smoke detectors have been tended to, it is a great time to look around your house and make sure that all your heating sources are in good working shape and free of clutter.
Hire a Professional to Check Your Furnaces
Call your HVAC technician to inspect your furnace before it gets too cold outside. Professionals will check the entire system and are sure to find areas that need to be repaired or replaced that you most likely would miss if you inspected the furnace yourself.
Reduce Fire Hazards in Your Home
There are many actions you can take to reduce fire hazards in your home. Some are obvious, like not overloading an extension cord or not using your oven as a heater. Other actions are less evident like repairing loose outlets or bad wiring in the house. Here are a few more fire-prevention tips to use as you walk through your home:
- Be sure to keep any flammable material at least 3 feet away from all heating sources, including fireplaces, space heaters, furnaces, and cooking equipment.
- Do not leave a space heater on when you are not near it.
- Do not use extension cords with space heaters.
- Do not dry your clothes in the oven.
- Be sure to install smoke and carbon monoxide detectors on every level of the home and outside of each sleeping area.
- Do not use any heating appliances with damaged cords or plugs.
- Be sure to have your chimneys and flues regularly cleaned.
Make sure your home is as fire-safe as it can be by making sure you contact a reputable HVAC company. Many Northwest Indiana and South Suburban Chicago residents turn to Van Drunen Heating & Air Conditioning for all their HVAC needs. They have been in business for half a century, so they know a thing or two about repairing a furnace.
Contact Van Drunen Heating & Air Conditioning Today!
At Van Drunen Heating & Air Conditioning, our professional team of factory trained technicians can inspect your furnace to make sure it is very clean and is working efficiently. We have been servicing furnaces throughout Northwest Indiana and the south suburbs of Chicago for over 50 years. Therefore we have repaired just about every type of heater on the market. Call us today at 708-339-6444, or send us a message.