Having air conditioning in Indiana or Illinois is a must – these states are hot. But which type of air conditioning system is best for your home or business may be less clear. At Van Drunen Heating & Air Conditioning, our professionals can help you to make sense of the differences between central air and ductless systems, as well as which one is best for your needs.
Central Air vs. Ductless: What’s the Difference?
The United States Department of Energy (energy.gov) explains that a central air conditioning system cools the air, and then circulates it through a home via ducts and registers. As the cool air warms again after being dispersed in the home, it flows to the central air conditioning unit and is once again cooled and distributed.
A ductless system, on the other hand, doesn’t require any ducts or vents to operate. Instead, this system type is mounted to a wall within a room and consisted of two units: the evaporator/air handler (inside the home) and the condenser (outside). Cool air is distributed into the room where the ductless unit is located only.
Pros and Cons of Each
Ductless systems and central air systems both have some pros and cons. These include:
Advantages and disadvantages of central air
- Ability to cool the entire home or business
- More efficient than ductless systems
- Work great with homes/businesses that already have ductwork in place
- Can be controlled using programmable thermostats that adjust the temperature based on your preferences, when you’re home, etc.
- Can’t be seen – a ductless system is right on the wall
- Is typically more expensive than ductless systems
Advantages and disadvantages of ductless systems
- Works great for those who don’t already have ducts installed in the home
- Is typically a more affordable option than central air
- Can be used for “zone” heating and cooling – can control the temperatures of different rooms easily and efficiently
- Many ductless systems provide heating capabilities, too
- Ductless systems may be quieter than central air systems (although this depends on the specific make and model)
Call Van Drunen Heating & Air Conditioning Today to Learn More
If you have more questions about what type of air conditioning system is best for you, our experts can help. We know that selecting an air conditioning system is a big investment and something that will affect your comfort for years to come – let us help you make the right choice.
To learn more, please call us today or send us a message telling us more about the services you need.